Tuning Pin Size

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:23:55 -0600

Paul and Terry,

Whenever there is an abrupt change in size/shape, there will be a stress =
concentration.  This is what you've got at the inside corner where the =
1/0 upper portion of your pin meets the 2/0 or larger lower portion.

Picture a pin of uniform diameter, with a straight line drawn along it.  =
Now twist the pin, look at the line: it's a uniform spiral, like a =
barber pole, or a candy cane.

Now take the stepped pin, draw the straight line along the lower =
portion, in towards the  center along the step, up along the upper =
portion.  Twist the pin, look at the line.  Still generally a spiral, =
but:  The spiral on the upper (smaller diameter) section is faster than =
the spiral on the lower portion.  Where the upper spiral meets the step, =
there's a distortion in the spiral which is your stress concentration. =20

Stress concentrations can be minimized by radiusing the inside corner, =
by optimizing feeds and speeds in the lathe, and polishing the radius =
after machining. =20

Best case, I would guess Paul's pins still have a 20% to 30% stress =
concentration factor at the step.

Hope this helps

Mike Spalding

  ----- Original Message -----=20