Tuning Pin Size

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:26:55 -0800

I tested my pins in a vise and they still broke at the becket hole,
which is where they break in standard pins.  If there were no becket
hole, I presume they would break at the transition, but at a higher
applied force.  When some of my pins are produced with a larger
transition, I'll test them as well.  I tested them with the tops of the
vise jaws tightened at roughly 5/16" below the transition shoulder and
also at roughly 1/16" below the shoulder to simulate the situation in
both closed face and open face pin blocks.  I used an old extension
lever just in case the lever broke instead of the pin.  Got my
24-year-old son to do the pulling.  I figure the tip on the lever is
plenty tight now.  I have no idea how much force was used because I
didn't want to break my torque wrench.

Paul