Estey lyre support rods

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:04:05 EST

In a message dated 1/27/02 8:12:20 PM !!!First Boot!!!, kpiano@goldrush.com
writes:

> The movers again. They are scary around here. I'm at a complete loss as to
> who to recommend. This time the piano was wobbly. A 1923 Estey baby grand
> with H style legs and 2 studs and 2 toe screws per leg, only had bolts on
> the right front leg. The other 2 legs were held on by just 1 toe screw.
> They must have had problems with movers in 1923 to have designed it to
> stand up anyway.
> They also lost the Lyre support rods. Were those made from dowel stock?
> Looks like a socket for a rounded end or did I look too quick? What would
> have been the original wood they were made out of? I prefer to duplicate
> original if possible. Were the sockets lined? Felt, buckskin? Are the Shaff
> brass rods the only other option? Thanks for your experience.
> Keith R
> Associate PTG

Keith
For the missing bolts, take one to the hardware store and see if you can find
some replacements.

For the lyre braces, you can use ordinary dowel stock. Measure the width of
the hole, and get that size dowel. When you measure the length of the rod, be
sure the lyre is attached tight, and then measure a 1/2" longer. It is easier
to cut a 1/4" off than to add to it. Stain the wood the color of the piano.
The holes were probably not covered with felt or buckskin, but there is no
reason you can't do that, if you feel it is necessary.

You can use the Schaff brass rods if you can't find wooden dowels.

Wim