My first Bosendorfer

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:08:16

Hmmmmmm..... Looking at those numbers, I'm having problems with the note C4.
  It appears that there was a partial jump there.  Extrapolating the SAT
calculation should be around 2.2 instead of -1.2.  This leaves me in the
lurch for trying to figure out any offsets.  Just using the numbers and
graphing them ends up with a tuning that doesn't appear to follow the aural
directions for the EBVT.  If you could double check the numbers in your SAT,
and make sure that they are all using the same partial;  I could go from B
to B just as easily if that would help.

What I did for your tuning posted years ago,(I think it was for a Kawai, I
could dig it up....) was find an octave using the same partial, in the
middle of the piano.  Measuring the top and bottom note to determine the
octave width, I then estimated an ET curve over your EBVT numbers, and added
or subtracted to come up with offsets.  This also doesn't strictly follow
the aural directions, but it makes a tuning that I like.

Graphing the offsets from Rob Scott predicts a tuning that follows the aural
directions exactly.  Yet when you tried this tuning, it did not sound right
to you.

I've meant to dig up the old numbers and re-calculate using the Verituner,
but haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Congratulations on a great experience.

Who else gets to play freshly tuned pianos every day?  What a job!

Ron Koval