Twisting bass strings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:16:22 EST

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Why is it that some bass strings need to be twisted to achieve their full
> tonal potential and some don't?
>
> David Love

This is what I think. The extra twist put a little more pressure in the
windings, enough to make the winding tight around the core wire. A tighter
fit gives a more solid sound. This, I think, is the same effect as tightening
all the screws on the plate, or understructure. A more sold piano give a
better tone. There is no energy lost between parts.

As I said, that is my interpretation. I could be wrong.

Wim