Twisting bass strings

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:28:21 EST

Mr. Love:
According to John W. Travis, 'A Guide to Restringing', the twist is necessary
in order to tighten the copper wrapping...just like Wilem has already
stataed.....1/2 twist for single wound strings and 1 full twist for
doubles..It seems to me 2 full twist would push the string to the edge. I do
wonder since these strings require more revolutions of copper winding it
might need more twist. I don't really know.  But, if you replaced these tenor
strings with other strings which require the same action in order to sound
good, Wilem may be on target concerning the bridge. Ole Travis said if the
above mentioned twist did not liven up the string, then the string maker
failed at his job. I do know this, Wilem has forgotten more than I'll ever
learn and I'm sure this info is not new to you. However, just trying to help.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.