Jon's temperament adventure

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:38:48 EST

In a message dated 1/29/02 12:21:39 PM, drwoodwind@hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm almost positive that the specific temperament used is the same as the
Thomas Moore.

offsets from ET:

C   2.5
C#  0
D   1.5
D#  1
E   -1.5
F   2
F#  -.5
G   3
G#  .5
A   0
A#  1.5
B   -1

C and G thirds ~ 10 cents from pure
D and F thirds ~ 12 cents from pure
A and Bb thirds ~ 14 cents from pure
all the rest ~ 16 cents from pure

When played in triads, the Ab chord sticks out as the one with the most
energy.

Enjoy!

Ron Koval>>

OK, forgive my naivete...nay, call it ignorance...

To use the offsets from ET, can I use RCT to plot an ET tuning, and then
subtract or add the above amounts from the values found in octave 4?  In
other words, sample the A's from the piano, hit "Calculate" and within that
window that pops up, and then add to, or subtract from the values that the
RCT came up with for ET?

Actually, I have already tried this with an offset chart you posted some time
ago for EBVT and it seemed to work.  I mean, the temperament sounded quite
nice.  Now, whether it was really EBVT or not, or whether I used the offsets
correctly could be a different matter entirely!

I am interested in accessing these non-ET temperaments, and I appreciate the
offset charts that have been posted.  (I've saved every one I've found on the
hard drive.)

Tom Sivak