Twisting bass strings (physics)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:46:19 -0600

>So: what if I twisted a plain steel string, say, five full turns before
>pounding in the tuning pin and pulling it up to tension? Ten turns? From the
>physics viewpoint, this is a non-issue? And if it IS an issue, at what point
>does it become a non-issue? and why?

Between twisting plain strings "somewhat", and not twisting by direct
intent during installation, there won't be any difference in performance.
Twisting them intentionally five, ten, or one hundred and forty three
turns, I can't say. I've never had a reason to try it. Try it and see for
yourself. Maybe we have all been missing out on something truly wonderful
all these years.

Ron N