Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:43:52 +0100

Re:Thank you Ray.  I try this right now.

St=E9phane Collin (Brussels, Belgium collin.s@skynet.be)

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ray T. Bentley=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 3:21 PM
  Subject: Re:=20

  Stephane,

  Be sure the hammers are as smooth as you can get them!  Use =
progressively finer grades of sandpaper until you get them very smooth!  =
Gang filing with large sheets of sandpaper work best.  Virgil Smith made =
a fine presentation on this in Kansas City a few years ago.  The tone =
will sparkle without being harsh.  Of course, overly hard hammers may =
require some needling, but smoothness is absolutely essential to =
beautiful tone.

  --=20
  Ray T. Bentley, RPT
  Alton, IL
  ray@bentley.net
  www.ray.bentley.net

  The difficult, I do right away.  The impossible takes a little longer. =