Anders Askenfelt On Pianos

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:57:21 -0600

>I daresay I have done the same with similar use of physics and its principles.
>It is a measure of the  possible futility of this discussion that you seem to
>unawares of this.

I apparently am. I have read that if I had read anything about the more
advanced aspects of vibration, I would understand your theory. I have, and
I don't. That's why I asked for references. The references you have quoted
haven't, that I have been able to tell, addressed it either. For instance
the reference indicating that the string terminations are nodes, and since
nodes don't theoretically move, the string can't move the bridge. Is that a
serious attempt at explanation, and the level of specificity your theory is
based on?

>     Believing, along with others as you do, that the string is pulling and
>pushing  the bridge and then moving  the soundboard would you then agree
>that the
>string should move the bridge and  board downward when the string is pressed
>down, and similarly upwards when lifted?   If you do agree, then would you
also
>agree that this is the mechanism, although perhaps simplified,  that
causes the
>subsequent wave behavior in the board that results in acoustic radiation?  You
>have said so, essentially, many times.

Yes, I have said so many times. That hasn't changed.

>     How do you suppose this can occur efficiently when the string is not
>effectively clamped to the bridge by the bridge pins?   The frequent
>traveling up
>the bridge pin by the strings on a grand piano indicates readily how
>ineffective
>is  the function of the pin as a clamp.   It can not effectively transfer the
>supposed lifting motion of the string that you and others claim exists,
>which, in
>fact, does not exist, at least from my point of view.   There must
>necessarily be
>an asymmetry of effect as the efficiency of lifting of the strings  cannot
>possibly  be as great as that  which exists when the strings  are pushing
>down on
>the bridge.   Such asymmetry  must result in a clipping of the harmonic motion
>imposed on the bridge by the string, which you and others,  apparently,
believe
>exists at this point, another point of subtlety, and a "troublesome question"
>which appears to be disregarded, along with numerous others by your camp.

This point is built on the belief that strings climb up bridge pins in a
properly set up piano. They don't, so the point is moot. There is almost
certainly some asymmetry to the motion imposed on the bridge by the string,
but that has nothing to do with whether or not the string moves the bridge.
Nor does it seem to support your theory that the string does not move the
bridge. Since it doesn't seem to pertain to the issue, why do you bring it
up? Note please that I'm not asking you to quantify and integrate every
conceivable manifestation of observed, reported, rumored, or mythologized
bridge and soundboard effect in your theory. I am just asking for a
realistic straightforward explanation, with some sort of  reference
material that explains the apparently non standard science involved in
terms of actual science. How can the string move the soundboard without
moving the bridge? What known science allows for the total disregard of the
mass reactions involved?

>       In point of fact, I have a number of books on the subject of vibrations
>and other pertinent subjects and have quoted from them  when requested to do
>so.
>The quotes, their implications and other points I have made,  you seem to have
>found irrelevant and then simply disregarded,  something, in the context of
>intellectual enquiry,  that is a mystery to me.

It's a mystery to me too. The references you have quoted have been very
elementary and very general. The implications drawn have been entirely
yours, and considerably different than those drawn by others from an
established physics standpoint. In the case I mentioned above, the
theoretical labeling of a string termination as a node, and the
extrapolation that since a node doesn't theoretically move, therefor the
bridge doesn't move, is ignoring the physical reality that the bridge and
soundboard in the real world are quite easily, and quite measurably
deflected. You point out that I am ignoring "loading", though I'm still not
sure what you are talking about or what it has to do with the question,
while you continue to disregard the fundamental physical properties of
matter in favor of a vague generality on node theory, stress transpondance,
and the passing of longitudinal waves unabated through termination
barriers, all without moving the bridge. What real science can you produce
to back this stuff up?

>>     This entire controversy boils down to a few simple questions:  Are the
>> motions, if any, at the bridge, the direct result of the string driving the
>> bridge and thence the board in the fashion of,  as you have said,  a
>spring on
>> spring system?  If so, this would indeed be fantastic.

Yes Robin, I understand the controversy. The question is quite simple. And
yes, I am aware of your opinion that my stand is "fantastic". I am also
aware that you repeatedly return to this point, though I fail to understand
how it serves to your benefit in the discussion.

>AND is the
>motion, if
>> any, of the bridge linearly related to the motion of the string?  That is,
>does
>> a very slight excusion of the string result in a very slight bodily
>> displacement of the bridge, and a somewhat greater excursion result in a
>> somewhat greater excursion and so on?  Are these motions proportional?  If
>not,
>> then the pertinence of the example of the floating of valves in an engine is
>> plain.    It is simply not enough to say that something lags the other by a
>> "computable phase angle" as this does not address what actually happens as
>that
>> lag develops.

I have no way of measuring or knowing how proportional the movement is. I
presume it is roughly linear, but can't say definitely one way or the
other. The lag develops as the driving frequency rises above the
fundamental harmonic frequency of the system, as I quoted. What actually
happens as the driving frequency increases and the lag develops is that the
amplitude of the reaction diminishes, but does not disappear. It is
frequency dependant as to the amplitude of the reaction, but the reaction
is at the same frequency as the driver, lagging behind the driver at that
computable phase frequency. All this is in the physics books, has been
covered, and is part of a system in which the driving force directly moves
the driven object. In the case of a piano, that is the string directly
moving the bridge. Since that notion is by your repeated declaration
"fantastic", how can this example possibly support your theory that the
bridge doesn't move?

>      I say any motions of string and bridge are not directly functions of
each
>other as the strings cannot move the bridge for numerous reasons in a way
>sufficient to achieve what it is you and your coproponents claim to occur and
>that the stress transduction method I have described is a much better
model for
>this and that this model  also accounts for events occuring when a tuning
>fork is
>applied  to bridge or board.

Where is my physics reference for the stress transduction explanation? As
nearly as I have been able to tell, this came out of thin air too since I
have repeatedly asked for references on the effect and haven't yet seen
any. As for the fork, I have described it's action in terms of established
physics that doesn't leave anything out or violate any natural laws of
which I am aware. Since everything connected with your theory requires a
stress transduction that turns stress into movement without moving the
stressed item, It's time you produced some actual references on this
phenomenon.

>     Why is it so hard to believe that a string, when stretched by the
standing
>waves occuring upon it, will pulse a longitudinal wave  faithfully rendering
> the
>periods of the standing waves across the terminations and that this will
>refract
>into the medium in contact with the string and then diffuse through this
>medium,
>developing through reflection and refraction imperfect longitudinal standing
>waves which can then move, in the case of the soundboard,  the bridge, if
>necessary?     This is a far simpler, at least mathematically speaking,
>explanation than what you propose, notwithstanding, its evident conventional
>standing.

Fine, let's see the math. Let's see the references. The reason this is so
hard for me to believe is that it doesn't correspond to empirical
observation, measurement, and an established and accepted body of
scientific principals. My stand that the strings move the bridge isn't
based on belief, but on the connection of established principals of physics
and mechanics, observable phenomena, and a firm conviction in the principal
of Ocham's razor. What you propose is anything but simple, and can only be
conceived of as simple by ignoring most of the established principals of
physics. If either of these theories is based on faith and belief, it will
be the one that can't be rationally explained with producible physics precepts.

>     To continue the wave analysis using your model.  :  Say the string is
>at the
>unstable equilibrium configuration of the fundamental.  By the "Cyclic
>Pressure"
>method ( to take recourse to new terminology per your request) when the
>string is
>displaced above the bridge it is pulling upward on the bridge and soundboard.
>This will occur for  less than half of a period, as it must proceed
through the
>entire gamut of free resonances: the string will then cycle to the other
phase,
>pulling downard again for less than half a period.  In the case of A-440 it
>will
>momentarily  pull upwards for less than half the period, that is 1/880 of a
>second as it must cycle through all of the other standing waves.and then
>proceed
>to the opposite phase still cycling through the other standing waves
similarly,
>and all this  in the other half period which is  1/880th of a second.  Held
>down
>by other strings, unable to remain effectively in contact with the bridge on
>the
>upstroke,  and attached to a massive,stiff bridge and relatively massive
>soundboard, the string  simply  is not  able to operate as a force in the
>manner
>you defend  so intently.
>Regards, Robin Hufford

This is again, based on the erroneous assumption that the string is not
held to the bridge top by the pins. It is, though albeit not as perfectly
as should be possible. The string does not normally slither up and down the
pin during play. In those instances where front bearing is negative and the
front bridge pin is near vertical, this will happen, and the audible effect
is disastrous. Dispense with that false assumption, and yes - the bridge is
moved by the string up and down at that 440cps rate, lagging somewhat
behind the string phase, but still at the fundamental frequency. It is also
being accelerated and retarded during this primary excursion by the varying
pressures applied by the standing waves of the various string partials. If
you look at a vibrating string, you won't see any part of the string
between the terminations that appears not to be moving. There are nodes
between upper partials, but they are moving transversely with the
fundamental standing wave in the string. The mass reaction at the bridge to
the force of moving string mass beyond the straight line between the
terminations is the driver. The net velocity and direction of string
movement at any given moment defines the force applied to the bridge. The
reaction to this force directly moves the bridge. It is profoundly simple
in principal.

Ron N