Knuckles

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:22:58 -0500

+ + Comments below ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 8:20 AM
Subject: Knuckles

1979 Yamaha G3. Owner is an advanced classical player.

I'm trying to formulate a best recommendation for improving her piano. She
made it clear that she does not want to spend any money that she doesn't
have to, but our interactions also made it clear to me that if she can make
a significant improvement in the performance of her piano, she is ready to
do it.

She described a lack of control - action too light. DW seemed OK (didn't
measure), but hammer flanges were down in  the two-gram range. I recommended
either repinning or replacement.

+ +  A common problem with heavily-played Yamahas.  Gives the action that
floppy feeling.  You mentioned downweight -- how's the upweight?

+ +  When it comes to controlling the action with the help of a little
necessary friction, I like to think in terms of controlling the movement of
a marble on a flat surface while pushing it along with a pencil eraser.  Try
it on a sheet of smooth glass and that marble will go where it will.  Try it
on a sheet of newprint and it might be a little easier to control.  Try it
on a sheet of backrail cloth and it is very easy to control, but it takes
considerably more force to make it go anywhere.  Keep in mind that it is the
same old marble in each case, so its mass, weight, etc. doesn't change from
one surface to another.

Also, in this case, the knuckles are starting to show flatness at the jack
contact. Not real flat like your average 80 year old grand, but clearly not
nice and round anymore. Also lots of graphite on knuckles. How much does
flattening of the knuckles affect performance. I should think it would
increase the duration of the let-off event, and make it a more harsh event.
How noticable is the difference to the average advanced pianist?

Terry Farrell

+ +  Beef up a handful of knuckles and see if your pianist notices.  Does
she like the difference?  If so, price out the job with a] continue beefing
up the knuckles and repinning, or b] replacing the shanks/flanges
altogether.  Sounds like you might be replacing the hammers anyways judging
by another of your posts today, in which case, I should think you would want
to go for replacement of shanks/flanges.

+ +  Remember that with the 80-year-old grand with the ultra-flat knuckles,
you're most likely not dealing with a fine pianist who would be bothered by
such things.  [Here goes ... straight from car-country Detroit]  I should
think it would be like the difference between a driver in a car that can be
controlled on your average highway (steering/suspension might not be great,
but it works) and a stunt driver who has a tenth-sense about what the car is
capable of (not as much as a well-engineer car in top condition).

Yes, I admit -- I've probably lost a few marbles by now ........

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net