Yamaha Flange Pinning

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:24:06 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> 1979 Yamaha G3. Owner is an advanced classical player.
>
> She described a lack of control - action too light. DW seemed OK (didn't
> measure), but hammer flanges were down in  the two-gram range. I recommended
> either repinning or replacement. I've used alchohol/water to loosen a set of
> bushings, but does that also work to increase friction? Or is that a
> technique best reserved for spinets - perhaps a nice Yamaha owned by a good
> pianist needs a proper repinning???
>
> Terry Farrell

What does the rest of the hammer assembly look like ? Knuckles ? Hammers worn
down as well ? Maybe time for something a bit more extensive ?

I personally like to repin if everything else in in good enough shape.  I have
little faith in chemicals, after time and time again experiencing their on and
off again functionality. Never met a liquid lubricant yet that worked much more
then half the time.... and going the other way around ???  hmmmm.. I dont know
if I would even try.

Repinning is a nice skill to get down. You can often do a really bang up job of
it, better then factory work, and you can use the opportunity to even out other
friction issues as well. A great excuse to do the 60,000 mile full service
routine :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.