hammers

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:29:22 -0800 (PST)

Is there a way, by listening to piano music, one can
tell what brand of hammers may be in the piano?  I'm
curious about what brand of hammers are in the pianos
in a few music clips for which I like the piano's tone
above the bass section (assuming 26-note bass and all
plain steel strings on treble bridge, but I could be
wrong)(all are verticals as far as I know).

I'm specifically wondering about (although all clips
in each folder are the same piano) clips 10, 5, 7, and
9 in
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/1982+badly+out-of-tune+piano
,  clips 1 and 3 in
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/1988+Piano+Recording
,  clips 1 and 3 and song1 in
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/1987+Piano+Recording
, and clips 10, 11, 16, 17, 2, 3, and 7 in
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/1986+Piano+Recording
.  On most of these I'm mostly interested in the tone
produced by the hammers in the middle section of the
piano.  I'm also curious to know what brand of hammers
may have been used in the end with vocals one at
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/stephen_airy/lst?.dir=/pianostuff/1991+Piano+Recording+--+concert+grand
-- the chords (especially the first F-major chord)
have a nice sound, I think.  (this piano is probably a
7-foot or larger grand)

If someone could maybe try to point me in a direction
as to what types or brands of hammers to get to have
my piano's tone come close to if not match the
examples listed here, I would greatly appreciate it.
I am considering restringing my piano sometime this
year, and I am beginning to think about getting new
hammers, although I'm not sure when I'll do it.