Twisting bass strings (physics)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:40:44 EST

In a message dated 1/30/02 12:26:40 PM Central Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> While we're on the subject, I've also wondered if these arbitrary twist
> amounts we so often read about--i.e., one twist, two twists, etc.--are
> supposed to apply equally to Aunt Matilda's Baldwin Acrosonic and to Uncle
> Martin's SD-10?
>
> Del

Seriously, I think it all depends on the piano and the strings. I restrung a S
&S S once, and put one twist in all the strings. Several of them sounded
terrible. So I twisted them again, Still tubby. So I let them go, and just
put them on without a twist, and guesswha'? They sounded great.

Wim