Median age

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:08:54 -0800

I became RPT when I was 23 and felt the same way - I was the youngest guy at
the PTG convention in 1972. But one day I was tuning a piano and the
client's 16-year-old son sat down to watch. We started to talk. During the
conversation he told me that I was "over the hill."

Little did he know how many more hills there were to come...

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799
|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

From: JARickson@AOL.COM
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:10:23 EST
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Median age

Whatever the actual median age is, people (customers) seem to expect that a
Piano technician is a certain age.  I am 24 and I am constantly told that
"you are the youngest piano technician I have ever met..."  This usaully
makes me wonder just how many piano technicians they have really met to hold
such expectations.
  I think it works against me to a certain degree.  I get the sense
sometimes that when I make recomendations, I am not taken as seriously
because of my perceieved lack of experience.  Oh well, maybe I should gain
20 pounds and grow a beard...

Jim Rickson