Twisting bass strings/Voicing by twisting

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:40:00 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2002 11:58:41 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> Subj:Re: Twisting bass strings (physics)
> Date:1/30/2002 11:58:41 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Wimblees@AOL.COM">Wimblees@AOL.COM</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>               >>>>>>>>>. Del writes
> >> While we're on the subject, I've also wondered if these arbitrary twist
>> amounts we so often read about--i.e., one twist, two twists, etc.--are
>> supposed to apply equally to Aunt Matilda's Baldwin Acrosonic and to Uncle
>>
>> Martin's SD-10?
>>
>  >>>>>>>    Wim Writes
> Seriously, I think it all depends on the piano and the strings. I restrung
> a S&S S once, and put one twist in all the strings. Several of them sounded
> terrible. So I twisted them again, Still tubby. So I let them go, and just
> put them on without a twist, and guesswha'? They sounded great.
>
>         Wim,Del and all fellow twisters-- To twist or not to twist that is
> the question?
>           I think that there is obviously no standard answer. I  have come
> to think of it as voicing the bass strings by twisting. Hey if they sound
> good don't twist and If that doesn't sit right with ya give em 1/2 twist
> cause it makes you feeel better. If there a little dull give em one twist
> and wait a day or two (be patient) If that doesn't do it twist again and
> see/wait a few days.
       I don't lcare to twist more than three turns ( which I've only done a
few times) because in some cases  the strings develop false beats>  later but
> the strings did brighten fortunately.

        The only time in recent memory where this was done by me was on a
Stwy D.