Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:22:38 +0100

I think that's exactly what I said. :)

> How this could insignificant is
> incomprehensible to me.   The question then becomes "Can the transverse
> the string during its standing phase)" induce similar effects such as are
> proven to exists in definite longitudinal loading.  I am merely posing a
> question here not offering an answer.

Good question as far as I can see.  What I don't see is why such folks as
Askenfelt, Russell, Weinreich, and others of their sort, who have all studied
these matters at length seem to be saying that the answer in our specific
discussion lies elsewhere.

Course they could all be just figuring,,,, heck this fellow is an every day
pianotech and doesn't understand much more then 12th grade physics... so we
give him the simple version... or perhaps the difficult version is just a more
detailed bunch of same.... what do I know.

While you are on about Tuning Forks tho...(in your other post) I figured I
would drop this due to the nature of the response I got last time (not from
you), but someone (I wont say who) said something mixed in with a lot of
unnecessary crass commentary about geometry being used to describe the
elongation that happens in the shaft  when the tuning fork tines are in
motion.  Incredibly complex you see.... high school geometry no doubt. Euclid
in motion. :)