Broken TP

Nina / Cliff Lesher lesher@jdweb.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:34:54 -0500

Avery,

I had one of these not long ago and since I didn't have the tool (which
would have made this about a 5-minute job), I did this and it worked:

I filed flats back onto the (now round) stub.  I hand filed vertical
flats on the right and left side.  It took a while because there wasn't
much clearance for the file.  I couldn't do this on the top and bottom
(horizontal flats) because there was interference from neighboring
tuning pins.  I didn't want to remove them if I didn't have to.  So I
got the Dremel out and used the small-radius grinder to grind facets on
the top and bottom.  Mind you, the pin didn't look pretty when I was
done, but this allowed me to get a good grip with the tuning hammer and
out she came.

I considered grinding a slot in the pin to remove it with a
screwdriver.  I decided against this, thinking the shoulders of the slot
wouldn't be strong enough.  After all, the pin broke at the becket hole,
where there was a reduced cross section of material.  I figured my slot
would have been at least as large as the becket hole.

You can do it.

Cliff Lesher, RPT
Winfield, PA