Moore temperament

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:51:50 -0500

At 12:10 AM 1/31/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Just finished restringing a piano and thought I'd take the opportunity to
>check out the Moore temperament.  I must admit that it is quite to my
>liking as far as these go.  It offers enough variation in color from key
>to key but the differences are understated with none of the remote keys
>too harsh for my ear.  Quite nice really.  Thanks Jon Page and Ron Koval.
>
>David Love

I tuned this Temperament again yesterday for a vocalist an his newly
rebuilt B right from S&S NY (first tuning).
When I offered it to him he said that he was familiar with Well
Temperaments and liked them.
I have used the stretch proportion posted by Ron Koval since he posted it,
thanks Ron.

This tuning scheme is more in line with the way I tune aurally. When I
first received the VT, the tunings sounded
too sterile. Although very nice, just didn't have that 'organic' feel to
them. I have since become use to it.
But having done few WT tunings I can now discern the difference from ET and
will offer non-ET to more customers.
I think it will really go over well with a choral performing organization
here.  I have never been a staunch advocate
of ET, didn't care one way or the other; it's just that I didn't like to
tune so much as to learn a new temperament scheme.
The ease offered by electronics has changed that. I actually don't dread
tuning now.

I can now fully appreciate the use of an ETD. Not only in the stress
reduction aspects but the versatility.
The way it has reduced stress is in two ways. One is the mental
concentration and the other is decibel reduction.
When tuning aurally, two notes are played together, repeatedly. Perception
is called upon to discern the proper interval.
This can tax your head particularly on some pianos. The volume is an attack
on your ears.
When tuning with an ETD, one note is played. The machine decides where the
note goes and two notes are only played
together for interval verification. So the only perception brought to bear
is on verification and the db level plummets with
only one note being driven to stability. Even tuning unisons with false
beats is easy by matching the cents deviation
for each wire and then maybe aurally phase them out if necessary.

I also discovered that I had been tuning the last few notes extremely sharp
having rounded 50 a few years ago.
The Verituner has kept me from breaking strings on C88, should have bought
one years ago.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.