Gottlieb Hafner

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:58:28 +0100

List

The UiB just took over care of a Gottlieb Hafner forte' on tuesday. This
example was built in 1830 and is in quite good condition with very much
of the origional parts and workmanship still intact. It was restored in
1994 by Edwin Beunck and Anton Wenninch. At that time the dampers (not
just the felt) were replaced with newly built copies of the origionals.

There are some really neat features of this instrument. First and
formost it sounds absolutely wonderfull. Clean as a whistle really, full
and round sound which is pretty rich in overtones. Definatly not a
powerfull instrument, but it projects well enough. There are only 4
tones that have wound strings. Then it goes over to a string type that
contains what appears to be some significant amount of brass. All notes
are bichords and these lower notes have a really beautifull sound. I was
really suprised to hear so much of what I like best in bass strings, and
so little of what I like worst.

For you folks with building interests... the bridge (grin..... no doubt
very moveable) was predictably enough anything but massive. Perhaps an
inch by and inch, or something along those lines. Itty bitty bridge
pins, and those were used for the front termination as well. I will get
some pictures. The soundboard grain ran directly back from the keyboard,
paraelle with the long side of the instrument. The underside was fully
enclosed except for a small trapizoid shaped opening in the middle. This
was  closed by a metal screen (like the old screen windows). Ribs ran at
about 30 degrees off the long side and were perhaps 1.5 inches wide and
not more then 0.5 high. Obviously not the stiffest of configurations
available, but some amount of extra mass on the underside.

When we get a chance we will record some on it, take some pictures and
make this all available to anyone interested.

My first reaction after hearing this played was.... "Why on earth did
they stop making these things ?"... Completely different animal then the
modern day grand. Really, an entirely different, if closely related,
instrument.  I loved it !!

It will be tuned at first to the Young Well Temperament, and I think I
am going to get them to let me put on BB's EBVT for evaluation a bit
later on. No doubt we will fool around with differing temperaments as
time goes by.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.