Feeling the Hammers when playing

Greg Torres Tunapiana440@cox.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 01:54:20 -0500

Antares,

Are you referring to the front punching or the balance rail punching? I can
see if the balance rail punching was firm that there could be more energy
transmitted (RE: the 'see-saw' analogy) and I can maybe see being able to
feel the shock of hammer impact/action rail vibrations, etc., but I cannot
see how the front rail punching being firmer could in any way produce more
energy to the hammer...perhaps am I missing something...it wouldn't be the
first time ; )

Could you expand upon this a little more please?

Some of my other observations follow interspersed...

> you just strike a key, you hit the bottom which is the > front rail
punching right? you then clearly feel the energy from the impact
> of the hammer against the string.

But the hammer has already hit the string before the key bottoms so how can
hammer impact be felt?

> Some time ago I was in Korea at the Samick factory.
> I had to explain why a harder or more firm front rail punching would
produce a better (i.e. louder) tone.
> right on the spot (boy, was I lucky... pfff) I found the perfect answer
which they all immediately understood :

> Why does a tone get louder when you replace the front punching with a more
dense one?

How CAN it???

> We have to compare it with a seasaw on which two little children sit. One
child pushes off from the ground, the other hits the ground.
> The ground is soft because it is sand so the impact is not painful. OK..I
can see that you already got it.
> Now we replace the sand...it is hard cement. The child coming down hits
the cement BAM! it hurts! and the other child on the other end of the the
seasaw
> is almost catapulted off  into the sky.

This is a different thing altogether...the other kid is 'catapulted' (well,
not really...) because his seat has simply stopped...

> The difference lies in the hardness of the ground, which, in our case is
the
> front punching.

See my initial response at the beginning...

> The opposite takes place as well but is a bit more dampened by the
different
> action parts absorbing the blow of the hammer against the string.

You 'lost me' with that one...

> Also, the hammer blow against the string causes overall vibrations
> throughout the whole instrument resulting in vibrations we can perceive
with
> our sensitive fingers, just like you can feel the vibrations if you put
your
> hand against the side of the grand.

I have no problem with that part...

> So...the harder the hammer, the harder the impact, the more you can feel
the
> vibrations.

OK

> However, a stone hard new hammer causes less absorbtion of
> energy through the keys.
> A well voiced hammer, but not too much please, sort of 'spreads' energy
> better and that we can feel easily in our sensitive fingers.
> Using this method amplifies our perception during the voicing process and
we
> would be stupid not to use it.

> Capisce?

Not really, because while I believe that a harder front rail punching would
allow one to feel vibrations transmitted through the key better than a
softer one I cannot at all see how a harder front rail punching can 'cause'
more energy to be transmitted to the hammer and thus the strings...

> friendly greetings
> from Antares,

And the same to you,
Greg Torres