Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:38:32 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
> The best lesson I can suggest is by taking Tunelab 97 and do the following
> simple exercise....<snip>

Thanks Richard. That's pretty much what I was thinking of as a rough
start. One tricky thing is when you want to switch from 6:3 octaves to
something else, at some point in the piano. You'd have to do it smoothly
somehow. And I'm curious how to reconcile the info from more than one test
note if there are conflicts.

By the way, back to the discussion of the Peterson, you CAN tune a custom
stretch with a Peterson 490ST based on the inharmonicity in a particular
piano. You just have to do it manually.  Every octave or so you can
calculate how much that octave should be stretched, and then spread that
stretch evenly throughout all 12 notes.

Also, since we're complaining about the limitations of the 490ST, doesn't
the Yamaha PT-100 have the same limitations? It's my understanding that it
has presets for various Yamaha pianos. Since Yamaha is known to be fairly
consistent in their manufacturing, it's probably a good ETD for tuning
Yamaha pianos.

Charles