Chickoring Square Grand tuning

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:21:09 +0200

> From: "Hechler, Duaine & Laura" <dahechler@mlc.net>
> Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:55:27 -0500
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Chickoring Square Grand tuning
>
> Antares,
>
> I have an upright piano and I just can't picture standing behind it to tune
> it.
>
> How can you do that and press down the keys ?

It may also have to do with the Yamaha tuning technique where the right
elbow (assuming one is right handed) rests on the pin block. This method
assures the tuner of a better controlled movement but you can only tune like
this standing. It is also much better for the muscles in neck and shoulders
as you don't have to reach up all day.
Tuning a grand in standing position may be a problem for tall people. I am
of medium height and sometimes lower my position by spreading my legs
somewhat but I have found a very good position for tuning grands by
positioning my body in front of the grand so that I am looking to the left
all the time. This position gives me the opportunity to keep my tuning lever
in the direction of the tail as this is actually the - only - way to tune
properly.