Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:21:59 +0200

 SUSAN P SWEARINGEN wrote:

>That's exactly point.  I understand you can do it manually, but why?  Why
>would you want to take the time to do it manually in the customer's home
>when there are devices on the market that do it automatically?

Of course you dont want to take a Peterson into the home and use 4 hours or so
to manually do something that another device does automatically. Thats not at
issue. The question is whether the Peterson can be used to quickly do a tuning
which is just as acceptable as the other ETD's. As I think we have covered a
good deal of our reasoning already I will refer back to earlier posts.

The Verituner perhaps approaches the whole matter from different angle. It
might have to given the patents held by Sanderson. Even Dean ran into some
problems with those. In anycase until I know more for sure about just exactly
how it decides frequencies for each tone I cant really include that in this
discussion aside from saying that it keeps getting impressive reviews, and that
I am a believer in the basic idea of a multipartial approach to deciding how
any note fits into a tuning curve.

RicB
Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF