Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:36:27 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

 >Robert Scott has also made at least a small move towards a multipartial
 >capabitlity in his Tunelab Pro by the way. I am still trying out some things
 >with TL97 so I havent gotten a chance to look into it adequatly yet, but
it has
 >some function for switching back and forth between partials that also
includes
 >taking into consideration the working tuning curve I believe.
 >Perhaps he could tell us more about what that feature exactly is

Sure, Richard.  The feature is to change between partials at one touch of a
key.
We don't need to re-calculate the tuning curve.  Everything else remains as
it was,
but when the partial changes, the stretch also changes by an amount based on
the inharmonicity of that particular string.  If the scale has been
sampled, then
TuneLab has a model for the inharmonicity at every note.  If this model is
accurate, then you should be able to change partials and not see any change in
the in-tune indication.  Therefore you can select partials based on what is
strong for that piano.  In addition to these on-the-fly partials changes, you
can also make permanent partial changes in the stored tuning file so that you
will use the desired partials every time that particular tuning file is loaded.

-Robert Scott
  Real-Time Specialties