self tuning piano????

Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:38:14 -0700

Well, I don't think it is being presented as fait accompli just yet. =
Certainly there are obstacles to overcome, the most formidable of which =
probably haven't even been thought of yet. But then, when I started =
driving it was necessary to change spark plugs and do a complete engine =
tune-up every 10,000 or 20,000 miles. The Honda dealer doesn't want to =
see the engine of my wife's new CRV for 110,000 miles. Even the oil =
changes don't come up but every 10,000 miles. Many of the technologies =
we now accept as standard took some considerable amount of time and =
effort to develop and bring to a level of 'perfection' that makes them =
usable to the masses.=20

And, yes, it will help to get a few piano technicians and/or rebuilders =
involved in the thing before too long. I'm reminded of another promising =
development that fell by the wayside because knowledgeable piano people =
weren't involved in its development early enough: the Currier composite =
panel plate piano. The thing presented to the public as a finished =
product was untunable! But it could have been. And had it's development =
been accompanied by some solid input from the piano technical community =
working with Kaman's aerospace  engineers I've no doubt it would today =
be in common use. There were no major technological hurdles that could =
not have been overcome. The instruments presented to the public were so =
poorly developed and executed, however, the entire concept -- rather =
than its rather pathetic implementation -- was condemned beyond salvage.

As may be, whether or not this particular self-tuning technology goes on =
to become standard equipment on today's piano -- and I rather doubt that =
it will, at least not in the near-term -- it does focus attention on one =
aspect of the piano that most of the industry would (and does) rather =
like to ignore: tuning stability and the need to periodically retune the =
piano.=20

In my opinion if the average piano would hold a musically acceptable =
tuning for a even couple of years -- and this is a goal readily =
attainable using today's technology -- there would be virtually no =
interest in developing a self-tuning device. As it is these devices will =
keep coming along and they will be developed and tweaked and one day =
either this or another idea not yet thought of will be made to work.=20

Whether we like it or not.

Del

  ----- Original Message -----=20