Rim seperation /Kawi GS70

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:53:52 -0400 (EDT)

  1st, many thanks to all whom made the convention
happen. Thanks to the testing team, and class
teachers.

Piano: GS70, Kawi, 7 foot, 10-12 years old.

Problem: Left side, long rim side, inner and outer
         rim have some separation. The underside
of the rim is not level, and it appears as if the
inner rim as lifted approx 1mm. I can slip a paper
bettwen the inner and outer rim at a few places.
I can insert paper in keybed back,left hand corner,
as if the belly had lifted slightly.
The piece under the keybed covering the inner/outer
rim joint has developed a crack. In the "belly bar"
(??as I call it??), just below the soundboard edge,
left hand courner, a very small hairline crack is
evident.

 Any input will be appreciated. On a cheaper piano
I would be tempted to fill everything so it can
no longer move. This piano is used on a concert stage.

 I have always been under the impression that it was a
very nice sound but lacked power. I thought
perhaps this was a characteristic of the model, but
now
wonder it that left side termination was compromised,
and sucking energy out of the sound.

 The piano tunes stable, It has had a dampp-chaser
in use these last 10 years. It had really made a
big difference in stability when it was installed,
as the room has large seasonal humidity swings.

  The piano arrived in my shop for a
summer restringing job. The actual separation
must be relatively new, but the weakness must have
been there for some time.

                 Look forward to your response
                 I may use some of them in
                 communicating with the hall.