Night And Day

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:41:16 -0400

Phil,
Your idea of seeing the hammers replaced "live", ( if you will) at a
convention site is a very valid inquiry. Actually it's been done before at
past conventions but it has always had scheduling problems due the
considerable class time and heavy eye lids which see to go hand in hand.
The way to do it is to have the first period evaluating the existing set,
and all the particulars.
Break for an hour while a set of pre-hungs shanks/hammers are installed and
traveled. The next class period is spent doing the actual voicing. For those
with little experience in this area, hearing and experiencing the difference
will open new perspectives.
Tom Servinsky,RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 3:43 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Night And Day

I think we have a subject for a Convention Class going on here..yes, I'm
serious.

I'm the one that started this thread. From what I've been reading, it
appears that my taste for replacement hammers doesn't jive with the
respected peers..ok..I can handle that, but the respected peers also have
alot more experience than myself with hammers.

Hammer replacement is a pretty critical choice when doing a re-whatever to a
piano, and there are as many choices as there are personal opinions. .. so
.. would it be possible to take a piano, or pianos, in a Convention setting,
and let the class hear the differences in hammer selections? I have no
pre-conceived notion on how it might work, but I would like to hear from
those experienced in organizing convention classes if that is something that
might be possible..

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
tito@philbondi.com