convention sites (campuses)

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:16:02 -0400

The idea of using vacant college campuses (during the summer season)
deserves consideration. Personally, the concept works extremely well for me.
Many music schools already have suitable soundproofed rooms, auditoriums,
and most of the amenities.  The only problem I see is viable space for the
exhibit hall. That requires the unique huge open spaces that traditional
convention facilities usually provide.
Traditionally  the idea of being spoiled with wonderful hotel amenities, and
yes, a touch of glitz thrown in, has steered the PTG towards keeping those
perks close at hand. However, with the current obnoxious adopted attitude
Hyatt Regency seems to be coping these days, it might be time to start
turning this large ship in a different direction. I argue with those who
feel the Hyatt approach is the only alternative. And I argue that we should
be solely concerned with "punitive" actions.  PTG represents a lot of buying
power to the convention providers and we should use it wisely. Somewhere in
this equation, PTG has take a stance against the Hyatt Regency types and
take control over this situation.
Tom Servinsky, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Clair Dunn
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 7:11 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: convention sites (campuses)

Susan K. and all convention organizers out there--

Wow - a great idea -- college campuses. Cut down on expenses, and if
we choose universities noted for music programs, lots of pianos on
the spot. Cheaper lodgings. Bookstores within easy reach.
My first vote goes to Banff -- can anyone think of a more
spectacular place for a PTG convention?!!!!
I'll trade a ritzy, overpriced hotel for breakfast in the Rockies
any day. And we can get there by train!
Cheers,
Clair

Clair's Piano Service