convention sites (campuses)

Ellsworth HOOD@uwplatt.edu
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 08:39:57 -0500 (CDT)

The Boston Early Music Festival tried the college campus route a few years ago
- as an alternative to the Park Plaza, stuffy carpeted hotel meeting rms with
bad acoustics for the early keyboards, which benefit from a live room, etc.
The univ class rooms were acoustically great but guess what?  Many complained it was all
not 'fancy' enough - and this was Harvard!  And there was not a very good venue
for the large exhibit hall.  Their concert venues have to be scattered all over
the city anyhow, that's always a problem.  But foodwise!Great places all over.  well, we can't have
everything.  It's smaller covention, and aimed at the public as well.
	There are obvious advantages of convention centers - they have all
those spaces, all together.  And a mid-summer convention needs airconditioning,
which few campuses have much of even now.  We,, Banff probably doesn't need a-c
- sounds great.
                Margaret Hood