convention sites (campuses)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:08:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/4/02 11:16:37 AM !!!First Boot!!!, cadunn@vt2000.com
writes:

> Wow - a great idea -- college campuses. Cut down on expenses, and if
> we choose universities noted for music programs, lots of pianos on
> the spot. Cheaper lodgings. Bookstores within easy reach.
> My first vote goes to Banff -- can anyone think of a more
> spectacular place for a PTG convention?!!!!
> I'll trade a ritzy, overpriced hotel for breakfast in the Rockies
> any day. And we can get there by train!
> Cheers,
> Clair

I too had thought a college campus would be great. But, what I found is that
although we can get dorms for cheap, there are still a lot of us who like the
ritzy scene. Once a year, you splurge, and get all the amenities, especially
room service.

The other problem is that the dorms are not going to be right next to the
music building. And while many music departments might have many pianos, they
might not have enough class rooms. Unless you get a campus where every thing
is within easy walking distance, you'll eliminate some people who don't walk
very well.

The price might also might be a factor. Hotels give us the meeting rooms, in
exchange for meals, and selling sleeping rooms. That is how they make their
money. Universities don't see it that way. You want meeting rooms, rent them,
You want dorm rooms, rent them. You want the banquet hall, for a meeting rent
it.

The bottom line is that while the sleeping rooms might be a little cheaper,
the registration would have to be maybe three or four times higher, to pay
for al the other amenities we get. And most people complain about the
registration fee as it is.

The idea might be good, but when you crunch the numbers, it isn't such a good
deal after all.

Wim