Convention Through July 4th! (OT)-long

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:29:36 EDT

et al;
 My basic dislike for having conventions on the 4th centers around many of
the reasons given here. I just don't think that it is a good time for
conventions........period.

 That having been said....one of the best 4ths I have spent was on the way to
the convention in KC in 91 or 92? I drove up from Jax taking mostly smaller
roads and visiting places from my childhood and was in no particular hurry. I
visited places in FL, AL, AR, TN and MS on the way to KC.

  As I approached KC, from the South, I drove into a small town that was
having its 4th celebration centered around the town square.....talk about
Americana! :-) It looked sooooooo inviting that I stopped and joined in the
celebration. I knew no one, and was accepted by everyone, was fed more free
food than I should have eaten, and drank more free 'stuff' than I should
have, heard more speeches than is good for anyone and talked to more
reallllly nice people than I had a right to expect to. Fireworks! Nice
people! Great Atmosphere! Games! Races! Kids! Dogs! Families! Pie
Auctions!....  It was a scene and an experience that is verrrrry precious to
me and that I will never forget.

 Since it was my first PTG Convention I had no idea of the PTG "family" that
was waiting to embrace and accept me at KC....and they did.... much to my
delight and ongoing satisfaction and amazement. Celebrate the 4th with
Family? Yeah we can do that! :-)

 Then there was the year...I don't remember which...where a large group of us
sat in one of those rooftop revolving restaurants and watched all the 4th
fireworks displays throughout the surrounding area while we talked and talked
and talked for hours and late into the night....Family? you betcha. :-)

 Should we hold conventions over the 4th? Absolutely not!!  ....but... if....
we... do ...it ....ain't all bad. :-)
My thoughts....
Jim Bryant (FL) EFM