Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:04:02 -0600

>Hi Bill,

            Some random thought's interspersed.

>=E2=82=AC there are some things which are basic to the nature of bechsteins=
 and=20
>that
>piano in particular.  those are things that will never change no matter
>what.  however, within those limits, there's a lot that can be done.

I am assuming that the lady is refering to the Chamber like quality of the=
=20
tone.  This I would agree with.

>=E2=82=AC it takes a LOT of effort to make a big sound.  partly this is=
 voicing,
>partly action regulation, partly brightness.  on the whole, the piano could
>use substantially greater brightness all over.  more "ping" in the sound.
>less "dying away" and much more "sustain" in the sound.  i would like it to
>be much easier to get a full, bright, singing sound out of the instrument.
>i would rather have to work hard to play softly than to work hard to play
>loud.  the former takes control and thought, the later takes muscular=
 effort
>with this piano, and it's exhausting.

The biggest bang for the buck will be lifting the strings to increase=20
sustain and projection. Ops, it's a Bechstein   <Grin> Oh! those funny=20
agraffes..   Take a hammer shank and massage down ward where the string=20
leaves the agraffe, to form a clean termination point.  If the forward bar=
=20
is badly grooved, this is where you can have a big tonal loss, plus a lot=20
of unwanted noise.
Take a hammer shank, or bridge pin set punch and tap all bridge pins.
Do a good pitch raise and fine tuning, listening to each string and fine=20
adjust any weak termination points.
Fit hammers and level strings.

>=E2=82=AC i want the action to be first of all more even across the=
 board--a
>complete regulation would fix this--

Generally agree, but the improved sustain may alter her perception.

>but also to be a tad more resistant.  it
>feels a little bit flabby playing that piano, like the keys go down too
>quickly.  the action is a tad too light.

If the key bushing are worn at the balance rail,  insert an awl behind the=
=20
pin and flex it forward to get it out of the cup, this will help add a=20
little friction, and make the keys feel more secure, same goes for the=20
front guide pins.

>  generally, bechsteins are noted
>for having light actions--but this one is pretty extreme.

>=E2=82=AC the dampers and pedals need fine-tuning.  they do not damp evenly=
 and
>precisely.  also, they don't lift evenly or, i believe, high enough off the
>strings when the damper pedal is depressed.  for the damper pedal, there
>should be a tiny, tiny bit of "dead" space (before it engages the dampers),
>then the possibility of raising the dampers to different heights off the
>strings to the maximum allowable height.  the pedal seems like it's either
>on or off w/o any in-between possible."

Sound as if some major timing and triming is needed.

Hope this gives you a starting point, more information is needed for more=20
thoughts.
You may want to think in terms of an aggressive tuning stretch.  But tuning=
=20
debates is not my thing Bill.
Regards Roger

>Bill Bremmer RPT