Advice needed on Bechstein Concert Grand

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:30:23 -0500

Bill,

I can't offer much more than what others have said about the other things.
However,

>List, please read what the pianist has to say and give me your advice
>about what to do for a day long concert prep of this piano.  Again, tuning
>will be the least of it, probably about 30 minutes.

I've had this problem here at the university before on some Steinways.
So far, I've always been able to correct the problem simply by giving
the dampers more lift by trimming the stop felt.

I don't know what kind of system Bechsteins have to stop the pedal travel
but if you can find a way to increase the damper travel, keeping in mind
the upstop felt, that should solve that particular problem with a minimum
of time involved.

>€ the dampers and pedals need fine-tuning.  they do not damp evenly and
>precisely.  also, they don't lift evenly or, i believe, high enough off the
>strings when the damper pedal is depressed.  for the damper pedal, there
>should be a tiny, tiny bit of "dead" space (before it engages the dampers),
>then the possibility of raising the dampers to different heights off the
>strings to the maximum allowable height.  the pedal seems like it's either
>on or off w/o any in-between possible."

Hope this helps a little bit.

Avery