perfect pitch

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:44:03 EDT

> << It should be described as relative pitch. >>
>
> Relative pitch refers to the ability to "relate" one pitch to a another
> known
> pitch.  In other words, this is an "A" because it is a major third above
> the
> previously heard pitch "F".  Theory classes in college focus on sharpening
> all musicians' relative pitch through practice, and everyone, with
> education
> and practice, can develop relative pitch.
>
> The phenomenon of "perfect pitch", whereas it might technically be a
> misnomer, is completely different from "relative pitch", and as far as I
> know, cannot be taught.
>
> This argument that pops up every couple of months or so, that "perfect
> pitch"
> is incorrectly named strikes me as a pointless argument.  Piano (meaning
> "soft" in Italian) is not an apt name for this instrument that we all know
> and love, because it plays not only soft, but loud, too.  Wouldn't
> Pianoforte
> would be a more correct name for this modern-day instrument?  Yet no one
> constantly brings up the argument that the piano should be called something
>
> else.
>
> Could there be an agenda on the part of those who keep bringing it up?
>
> After all, none of us named the piano nor did any of us name the phenomenon
>
> "perfect pitch".  Nor the dog or cat.  What's the point of this argument?
>
> Tom Sivak

List,

Tom is right on the money here--as a recently retired Theory and Aural Skills
professor, I was a member of a Theory teachers' List on which this subject
was nearly beaten into the ground.  Most of the arguing is done by those who
are not afflicted with this "whatever we're going to call it," and the
arguments are either clearly the result of the infamous green-eyed monster,
or they are related somehow to "punishing" those students who exhibit this
ability.  Truth be known, it doth not a musician make--that is a MUCH more
inclusive set of abilities and knowledge.  It can, if used intelligently and
studied carefully, help an individual musician who works hard on all other
aspects of BEING a musician.

End of rant!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL