perfect pitch/for certain

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 00:04:49 -0500

>From my observations, perfect pitch is similar to us being able to
distinguish
colors. How does one explain the ability to tell one color from another.
Of course we had to learn the names of these colors so that we could put
a name to them. Once we knew that green was green, we could tell , but
we didn't know exactly what shade of green it was, except that it had
the characteristics  that this particular color had. I believe that
pitch is the same in respect to frequencies around a certain note are
closer to that note than to any other note, thus qualifying to be that
note. If A has a frenquency of 440 cycles per second, then a range
closer to A rather than to G#, or A# would be recognized as A. If this
particular persons ability was keen enough to
hear a difference of one, two, or several cents off 440, their ability
would obviously be closer to perfect than one who could not hear as
well. Not all of us have the ability to observe the subtle differences
in color as others can. In fact, there are many people ( me, somewhat )
who
are considered color blind. I knew a fellow who saw all color as a grey
, so he thought.??
Maybe, people who have a keen sense of color difference are the ones who
become artists, and are able to arrange colors much more interestingly
than , for instance I can. If we don't accept
the possibility that we have special abilities, then we can't accept the
fact that some people run faster, jump higher and have a keener sense of
smell, etc. I think that we are born with a sense
of pitch, and can't change it much, the same as we can't do much about
trying to be 6 ft. tall if we're only 5ft. 8". Although, I think that we
do develope relative pitch to quite a high degree, if we are around
music a long time and make an effort to try and learn how certain
pitches affect our senses. ( not quite sure what I just said there )
I once met a 4 year old who had PP. I knew who he was when he was 4,
because he played Baa,Baa black sheep very well when he was 4, at a
festival.He was so little, the M.C. lifted him up unto a box so he could
be in front of the microphone. He came to my shop for service on an
instrument when he was about 30 something, and I brought the subject up.
We talked some, and I tested him. Sure enough, he was able to
distinguish freqencies very efficiently still. This fellow was very
humble, and didn't think of himself anything special. As he always had
this ability, it didn't seem like such a big deal, whereas, to me it
sure was, and still is. If we look around, we can see many instances of
special abilities owned by individuals who accept them as normal, for
them. Some things just aren't splainable.!!??
Carl / Winnipeg.