perfect pitch

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:07:44 EDT

I'd like to look at this "perfect" pitch argument from one other angle.

Those of you who expect more from the person with perfect pitch, I say it is
unreasonable to ask someone to hear gradations of pitch finer than that which
is used in the medium in which it exists.  (i.e., music.)

My wife's paycheck varies by a penny every third week, because her annual
salary, divided into weeks, doesn't come out evenly.  This "perfect" pitch
argument would demand that the computer pay her that 2/3rds of a cent each
week, instead of rounding it up and down, even though she wouldn't be able to
spend it because it is a gradation of money which is smaller than used in
practice.

Like the computer, the person with perfect pitch rounds it up or down so that
it can be labeled, named, or recognized as a familiar entity that already
exists in the musical vocabulary.

I would suspect that Indian musicians with perfect pitch might recognize
quarter steps due to the inherent nature of the music of their culture.

Tom Sivak