convention sites (campuses) <long>

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 18:11:37 -0500

On 7/4/02 1:53 PM, "DBee840388@AOL.COM" <DBee840388@AOL.COM> wrote:

> In a message dated 7/4/02 1:03:26 PM Central Daylight Time, sckline@attbi=
.com
> writes:
>=20
>> I was thinking more of a modest little college somewhere,
>> with cheap eating places aimed at students, a small enough
>> campus that everything is within walking distance, and
>> air conditioning, which isn't that rare in warm climates.
>> The University of Texas, which is anything but little and
>> has its own summer sessions, was air-conditioned to the hilt
>> back when I attended it (in the 70's.) Little campuses get
>> pleasantly laid back in the summer. I agree that air conditioning
>> in the dorms is needed in July. Maybe some form of transportation
>> could be arranged for those who have trouble walking. Certainly
>> that would be no harder than moving grand pianos several
>> times a day!
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
> Joel Jones, currently one of our Ass't Institute Directors, was instrumen=
tal,
> if not the lead man, at a weekend seminar at the University of Wisconsin =
in
> Madison several years ago.  They had very nice teaching rooms and dorms a=
> their conference center which would probably be too small to handle our c=
rowd.
> The campus is very pretty and situated on a beautiful lake with room cost=
 at
> that time about $43.00, if I remember correctly.  I, too, think this idea=
 is
> well worth the time and effort for further investigation.  The big hotels=
,
> while pleasant with all the amenities, certainly can eat up the $.
>=20
> Don Bee, RPT
> Chicago Chapter=20

Don,=20
College campuses vary widely, so thank you for  pointing out the best
features of UW-Madison.
Most colleges have an extension department who promote meetings and
seminars. There were several regionals at Dekalb  (Northern Illinois) where
a person from extension was  stationed in the lobby to accommodate needs of
instructors and attendees.  Like hotel staff, extension departments can als=
facilitate the requirements for promotional literature, scheduling rooms,
banquet facilities, and booking classroom and exhibit space  for each
conference.
    Not every campus will be able to handle 1000 people.  Without checking =
don=B9t know if UW could handle all the needs of our Institute and Convention=
.
However, since the conference Don attended UW has added the Pyle Center, a
dedicated conference center,  The Fluno Business Conference Center, a
self-contained meeting facility for business executives, with additions to
the existing Lowell Hall and
    Madison has recently completed  Monona Terrace, a Frank Lloyd Wright
designed conference center, with connecting Hilton convention hotel.  A $20=
0
million Arts district will be completed in =8C04 with several smaller concert
halls centered around a           seat concert hall.
Our capitol building has undergone major restoration and Madison has been
named the best city to live in.
    END OF COMMERCIAL....
The stumbling blocks to college locations is movement between buildings and
the tenuous weather.  If you miss the bus you hope the next one arrives
before the end of the your class.
     Our needs for large exhibit space, assembly room for council, 30 or
more classrooms with testing facilities, tuning/voicing tutoring rooms,
large skills classroom, centralized registration desk,  Board Meeting room,
Institute Committee, and piano storage room are a formidable space problem.
    My college dining hall had good food, but cafeteria lines aren=B9t for
everyone.  Good restaurants aren=B9t always nearby unless the University is
interwoven around the town.  Large hotels with all the amenities located
near the University classroom/meeting area  would  be the best of both
worlds.  =20
    Piano moves would not be eliminated as each manufacturer likes to teach
with a familiar piano.  Requests for older or used pianos are a small
number, so the existing college pianos would also need to be moved.
=20
   =20
I have been the lead person in most of the multi=3Dday seminar events for 25
years.  =20