Action survey, was Re: Stanwood, was: Advice...

Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:42:58 -0700

I have also used a standard 32 note survey (c, c#, f#, g, of each octave.)
But after many surveys I am wondering if it is necessary to take so many
samples.  Sampling all the c's and g's with SW, BW, FW, KR plus WW in order
get the average SWR and then just measuring the KR's on a few of the sharps
through the keyboard seems to yield the same results.  If the KR is the same
on the sharps as the naturals then there should not be any difference in the
overall ratio.  The only time one needs to be concerned is if the KR's are
different, as sometimes happens.  Then you may want to take more complete
samples if you are contemplating a staggered capstan line or if you want to
insure that the FW maximums are not encroached upon on the notes with the
higher ratios.  If you are not going to make adjustments based on a
different measured KR between sharps and natural, then it really doesn't
matter anyway.  Decisions about the selection of parts for the desired
target SWR should be made with primary concern to the naturals.

For now, I continue to take all samples, but I am wondering if it's really
necessary.

David Love