Front Ril Pins

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:16:25 -0400

I'm servicing a new piano and have a bit of warranty work staring me in the
face.

It seems that the in-house techs overlooked the fact that the keys are
sitting off the front rail pins
and a lowly field tech doing the 1st tuning gets the ball rolling for repairs.

The easiest solution would be to install a taller front rail pin but I have
not found one in Pianotek or Schaff
(my American book is being elusive right now).  They list them at 1 7/16"
height. P-tek's mic .145 and Schaff's mic .175.
So by having one 1/4" taller would put the pin comfortably into the bushing
and reduce wear.

Otherwise, I'm looking at lowering the key height by 1/4". There's room at
the keyslip and I'd have to install a thicker
nameboard felt. Lowering the key height would also bring the b/r pins out
of the slot by 1/8" (they're flush or recessed now).

By far and away a taller pin would be a time saver but more so would have
been for the QC at the factory or store prep
to have tended to this irregularity.  I have not yet spoken to the dealer
about the looming warranty work, he'll not be happy as
I do not discount this type of contract work.

I hate it when this happens.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.