Bridge design

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:26:35 EDT

In a message dated 7/6/2002 3:13:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Bridge design
> Date:7/6/2002 3:13:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> I have two 1912 or so Mason & Hamlin uprights with the shortened agraffe
> area (although not agraffes on the upright), but they both have the low
> tenor transition bridge rather than a shortened/curved/whatevered low end
> of the tenor bridge. I wonder why they did not use the transition bridge on
> the grand? What length is the A?
>
> Terry Farrell

        Terry
 I don't know why they didn't use it. Probably some of the design folks liked
it and some didn't. Or cost factors and simplified production issues.
               The Mason & Hamlin A is 5 ft. 8 inch but because of its case
width the board has more square inches than the Stwy L or O. Hence its rather
large sound for its size.
   I also purchased recently 2 Mason & Hamlin AA 6 ft. 3 inch from 1950. The
company did away with the old third bridge  as on the old  model Mason Double
As and this one has, I think 5 bi-chords, on the long bridge much like the
long Stwy A which is 6 ft. 4 inch. The break is quite acceptable. The bridge
is not under cut.
   Back to the Stwy Ms under cut bridge in the low tenor. If it was for mass
reduction or flexiblity why then did they put the same amout of mass back
under the bridge in the form of a large dowell and wooden nut negating the
bridge mass reduction idea? I dunno either. the Stwy M isn't the only model
or brand to employ this either. I personally don't put the nuts and dowells
back on any more unless requested for originality  Issues by techs.
   Dale Erwin