Kelly Plate History

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 15:22:51 EDT

Hello Terry !

       The Wickham Plate co. was bought at some time
or other by  the Aeolian Piano co..  The  Wickham co.
Kelly Plate co. and the Fairbanks Plate co.  all began
casting plates in Springfield, Ohio in 1890.  Badger
Plate co. was a major supplier of plates but I have not
been able to find any information on this co.  Badger
made plates for  Wurlitzer at least thru 1953 and
probably later, however in 1978 Wurlitzer was using
at least some O.S. Kelly plates.  The Oregon  Plate
co. started making plates in 1907 in Oregon Ill.  This
was where the Conover Piano factory was and later
the Cable factory was located there

    As a side note in the late seventies most foundries
including the foundry that  Steinway bought plates
from was on strike. during this time Aeolian made
plates for Steinway so they could continue operation.

    HELP !!  If anyone has any information on the  Badger
Plate Co. or any other foundry  PLEASE  let me know.

      Please excuse  my  bad grammar,  bad English and
 bad spelling.

    Regards, to all
   Jack Wyatt