Pramberger

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 07 Jul 2002 19:15:31 -0500

>Ron,
>         Mr. Pramberger gave a talk at a PTG Pittsburg chapter meeting a
> few years ago where I asked him about the ribs and how they crown the
> soundboard. He said, at the time, that the soundboard was rib crowned. I
> didn't keep his attention long enough to ask what the  crown radius was
> for any of the ribs specifically but they are crowned. Hope this helps.
> It was a long drive to Pittsburg but ultimately worth it, I think.
>
>Greg

Hi Greg,
They're reported to be what is often talked about but seldom actually done
- crowned with the high point under the bridge. That eliminates an arc
segment (radius) as a meaningful measurement. Not that the radius
measurement is particularly meaningful anyway, especially under string
load, but you know what I mean. It's probably some sort of "bola" (hyper,
para), or the ever popular catenary. Or maybe something they whipped up by
eyeball in the shop. Nothing wrong with that by my standards if that's what
they did. But I was wondering, if the sexy rib profile is a positive enough
feature to make the cut for the advertising, why the "lively" unison bridge
pin placement through that low treble section? That particular feature
didn't make the brochure, somehow.

Errata:
My Eudora spell checker doesn't know "catenary". Does that put me among the
illiterati? Doomed by a broke tool?

Go ahead guys, this one's on me.

Ron N