leather wrapped hammers

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 00:19:51 +0000

(covering worn-through hammers with leather)
Tom,

Yes, the "down and dirty, but workable approach". I once did the entire top
couple of octaves on an old Kranich and Bach in the city.  Guy was trying to
open a jazz club on little cash.  WRONG piano for the job, but it was
playable.  I just used the backcheck-type split leather from Schaff.  The
width was fine off the roll.  I used contact cement, though I might opt for
super glue if I was to do it again.  Tonally, it was fine and lasted great
for the year or so he was in business.  Start on one side, stretch across to
other under tension.

Ron Koval