Old pneumatic players

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:46:36 -0600

Hi Mike,
If you have a digital camera, take plenty of pictures of the before and =
during tear-down.
Write a diary account of what steps you took to take the unit apart so =
that you can follow your notes in reverse to "put it back the way it =
was" as Lil  Abner would say.
Label with masking tape where all hoses and other parts go marking both =
parts. ie aa1 on the female end and aa1 on the male end of the =
corresponding part.
It seems like no two that I see are exactly alike so finding directions =
for taking it apart might be a little hard unless you get lucky.
Good luck in your project.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike Bratcher=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 9:50 PM
  Subject: Old pneumatic players

  List,

  I don't have many old player systems, I'll stick with installing the =
new electronic models.

  I have a 1924 Weber grand.  It has a restored player(top mounted).  =
All hoses and sundries are soft and pliable(almost new).  There is a =
flap above the keys that expose the roll part thingee, and another flap =
that exposes the bellows cranks and hoses.  The hoses run to brass =
fittings between the keys.  These are really long keys too, about 2 =
feet.  I don't know where the brass fittings go either.  The customer =
wants me to repair a few ivories (spent the day today bleaching).  I can =
do a much better job with the keys out of the piano.  I can't even =
figure out the fallboard on this dinosaur.  I am afraid I will get in =
over my head removing all the player parts (hoses, roll housing, tempo =
levers, etc...).

  I have enough experience to do most any in home service, but I'm just =
worried on this instance. =20

  Do the hoses that attach to the brass fittings running between and =
under the keys attach in a specific order, or do they just evenly =
distribute the air flow? Are these brass fittings attached to the =
keyframe?  Does this thing even have a conventional keyframe?  I just =
didn't dig into it enough to figrue out all the right questions to ask.

  How easy are those tempo levers, chains, & bellows to put back in.

  How easy are these critters to put back together in general?

  Does anyone out there have a step by step method of doing this?

  Thanks in advance

  Mike Bratcher,  Indy