Pocket RCT pitch raise problem? (cont')

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:07:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/9/02 11:54:34 AM, BSHARPTUNE@AOL.COM writes:

<< So the note that your're tuning flat may only be because the average of
the
six notes before it necessitate it, not because the note itself is sharp. >>

I appreciate your attempt to help, but I've been using RCT for 5 years now,
and I know what to expect from pitch raise mode, and this ain't it.  My
problem is not from misunderstanding what pitch raise mode is supposed to do.

I tried using it on two pianos yesterday which were both about 50 cents flat.
 I wanted to get the first piano up to about A435 and did a first pass.  In
about the 5th octave I noticed that it was giving me a target on the LEFT
side, the FLAT side .  The offsets were all negative.  (At this point in the
pitch raise the target should be way over to the right as I overpull to get
the strings up to pitch.)  Instead of me ending up with a piano within 2
cents of A435, I ended up with a piano that was aobut 10 cents flat of A435.
So I did another pitch raise aurally and turned the darn thing off.  The same
thing happened on the next piano, 65 cents flat, but this time I was looking
for it, and turned it off immediately.  On my Yamaha U1 I sampled the A's,
and found A4 at A438.85.  I went to CyberEar, set it to A440, and used pitch
raise mode and started right on A4.  I got a target to the left, telling me
to tune it -1.38 cents.  G#4 was similarly flat and this time it told me to
tune it -1.88 cents flat with the target to the left.  I continued downward
chromatically and each note was flat to 440 and the PRCT told me to tune each
one successively flatter than the last one.  Going sharp from A4 gave me the
same results.

Something is wrong here.  Now I guess it's possible that there is a setting
somewhere (although I looked for it and couldn't find anything amiss) that is
switched giving me these skewed results, but right now I paid several hundred
dollars for a machine that is pretty useless to me.

Tom Sivak