Lighter or Heavier ?

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:58:03 -0700

C.  None of the above.  Downweight is only half (or less) of the story.
Friction and inertia will influence feel.  A heavier downweight with lower
inertia might feel lighter, depending on how much lower the inertia is.
Likewise, it is possible for a lighter downweight with greater friction to
feel heavier than the contrary.  What is perceived as "heaviness" can also
be a relatively low upweight, i.e., high friction.  In this case,
responsiveness is perhaps a more descriptive term.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 09, 2002 2:25 PM
Subject: Lighter or Heavier ?

List..

Heres one for you... and I indeed want your Considered thoughts on the
matter..

Which of the following is true... and please ... a short justification of
why.

An increase in Downweight will

a) Always result in a heavier feel/touch to a grand action

b) Always result in a lighter feel/touch to a grand action

c) Neither of the above.

This is not a trick question... and I do not claim to have "the answer". I
of
course have my own opinion.... but I would like to hear yours and why you
think
what you do.

Thanks muchly

RicB