Laminated soundboards. was Re: Bridge design

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:40:17 -0600

>Yes. He managed to make a piano using a standard, off-the-shelf Samick
>laminated soundboard sound very good.

Hi Del,
              I think he installed the board himself, plus modified it by
routering out a relief to reduce the stiffness along the rim. I believe he
also designed and installed the ribs. So hardly a stock board.  But I agree
with you, I think we would be pleasantly surprised if the design thrust was
quality and re producability.
In theory a laminated board should be more predictable, it's just that most
of the practices have been all bad, resulting in a bum wrap for laminated
boards

Ron's is the only effort that I have seen that has aimed at quality tone
production.

Regards Roger