twist off a 506S tuning pin

Cliff Lesher lesher@jdweb.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:14:04 -0400

James Baker wrote:

> How did you remove the broken pin?

James,

Within the last few months there was quite a bit of discussion about this
very topic.  You may want to check the archives.  However, I'll try to
briefly furnish the best two options in my opinion:

Note:  The tuning pin will fail at the becket hole (reduced cross section).
The tuning pin is no longer faceted at this point.  The fractured pin leaves
about 1/2 inch of stub.

1.  There's a tool, about the size and look of a tuning hammer tip, designed
to grab and turn out a broken tuning pin (CCW).  If I had one when the pin
broke, I believe I could have had the stub out of there within 5 minutes.

2.  Not having the tool, I had to improvise.  I got out the Dremel and,
using the smallest grinding tip I had, ground four facets back onto the
round pin.  When my tuning tip fit, I gave it a couple love taps to engage
the pin soundly and cranked CCW.  Voila!  Came out like (frozen) butter.

Incidentally, I didn't have to remove neighboring pins to make room for the
Dremel.   My pin was in the bass bichords.  However, in the treble this
could be necessary.

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA