Lighter or Heavier ?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:41:58 EDT

>Would you go so far as to say that
>there is no direct relationship between DW/UW measurements and the "feel"
>or "touch" of the action ?

No,  I wouldn't say that.  Usually, a higher DW will make an action feel
heavier, but that depends on a "compared to what?" basis.  Light hammers and
little lead may have the same measurements as heavier hammers and more lead,
but the "touch or feel" will be different.
    The hardness of the hammers will have a huge effect on the "feel", so
there is no reason to leave that out of the equation.  "Feel" is a
combination of resistance and sound.  I have a Steinway O with two actions.
Both of them are within 2 gr. of each other on DW, but one has a softer set
of hammers and "feels" quite different to the pianists that have compared
them.
Regards,
Ed Foote